Skip to main content

Great actresses: No Oscars! ‘I am Sam’




Great actresses: No Oscars
Michelle Pfeiffer

Where do I even start? 

When starting this post I said quietly to myself: 

“Wait a sec, Michelle has never won an Oscar.” 

Then I started repeating it again and again (yes like a crazy person) and I realized how ridiculous that sounded. 

Michelle Pfeiffer has never won an Oscar. 

I’d laugh out loud if it wasn’t so immensely ridiculous. Oscars were founded to acknowledge the very best in Film. 

I’d say they’re doing a pretty lousy job not giving her one of those things. This is definitely one of those things that can suddenly anger me.

Michelle Pfeiffer is a screen legend, no doubt about it, drama is definitely her best side and she has portrayed tons of amazing characters. So why is it that in all the years she has been active, no one in the Academy has stood up and said “Hey, Michelle Pfeiffer doesn’t have one, how dumb is that?!” Well, someone probably has, but they’ve never done anything about it now have they? When I think of all the less talented actresses that have won Oscars, I just get sick. 
Reese Whiterspoon, Halle Berry, Sandra Bullock; it’s preposterous!

Michelle has been nominated (only) twice; in 1990 for her outstanding performance in ‘The Fabulous Baker boys’ and in 1993 for her role in ‘Love field’. She should’ve been nominated for a lot more of her films though. 

It’s hard to believe Renee Zellweger got a nomination for ‘Bridget Jones’ Diary’ in 2002 while Michelle didn’t get nominated for ‘I am Sam’. And it’s plain silly that last year,
Sandra Bullock walked away with the Oscar for Best Actress (The Blind side), while Michelle’s Léa (Chéri) didn’t even get nominated.

Yes, the Academy really messes up sometimes. There’s a silver lining though: Michelle is still as great as ever and returning this year with multiple movies. She’s going to get that Oscar someday; I’m sure of it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English Edification Enrichment (12)

What is the meaning and origin of the expression "once in a blue moon"? When something happens "once in a blue moon" it happens very rarely. Here are a few examples, * My brother George lives in Russia. I see him once in a blue moon. * We have visitors once in a blue moon. * How often does Tendulkar come to office? Once in a blue moon. There are several explanations as to the origin of this expression. According to scientists, whenever a volcano erupts, the sulphur and dust particles that are thrown up into the atmosphere often cause the moon to appear blue for some time. When the volcano on Krakatoa (an island between Java and Sumatra) exploded in 1883, rocks were hurled thirty miles high into the air and dust from the volcano fell nearly three thousands miles away. After this eruption the moon looked blue for several days. Luckily for us, volcanoes don't erupt every day, so a blue moon continues to be a rare phenomenon. Another explanation offered by scholar...

Growth & Development

I've noticed that the more sternly I speak to my kids — for example, after they've run into the street without looking — the more distraught they get. How can I make sure they understand the seriousness of certain situations without making them feel worse? As the saying goes, "Desperate times call for desperate measures." When your child's safety is at risk — whether he's run into the street, reached for an open flame, or gotten dangerously close to a pool — yelling, screaming, or crying out is a perfectly normal (and necessary!) response. After all, at that moment, you would do anything possible to get your child's attention and get him out of harm's way. After an episode like this, it's natural for kids to cry — and for you to want to apologize. But the truth is, your kids are likely crying in response to the fear and urgency in your voice, not because you've been "too stern." At times like these, it's OK to comfort them without...

English Edification Enrichment (17)

What is the difference between "plump" and "fat"? When an individual is plump or fat, he is overweight. The word "fat" has a negative connotation associated with it. When you say that someone is "fat", what you are implying is that he is overweight and doesn't present a pleasant sight. It is considered impolite to call someone fat to his face. The word "plump", on the other hand, is normally used to indicate approval. When you say that someone is plump, what you are implying is that the individual is overweight in a pleasant sort of way. In other words, you approve of the soft rounded body that the individual has! The individual though overweight is not unpleasant to look at. In the 60s and 70s many of our movie heroines were plump. Thanks & Regards.