Skip to main content

My Preference - Best Picture Nominees:



The Help
Lovely film. It's been a while since I've seen it but I remember loving the acting by Ms. Davis, Ms. Chastain, Ms. Spencer and even Ms. Stone. It will be well deserved if Viola Davis would win tonight. 


The Descendants

Ah, George Clooney... He's still got it! I honestly didn't expect he would pull that part off but he did, he really did. This movie had exactly what I like to see in a film: nice set-up, good performances and a solid plot. I also liked the comic relief that the Sid character brought. 


Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

By just having seen the trailer, I was surprised it got a nomination for Best Picture. And after viewing the movie itself, I'm just stunned that the Academy would acknowledge this film before 'Drive' or 'Shame'... About 30 minutes into it, I found it unbearable. The lead character is so unsympathetic, it makes it impossible to relate or even care. Furthermore, the cheap use of the 9/11 events and the sheer ridiculousness of an 11 year old boy wandering New York City on his own killed it for me. 


The Tree of Life
Of course I know the chances are slim to none, but in a perfect world, the Oscar for Best Picture would go to this peculiar, beautiful, bold piece of art. Although most people I asked either fell asleep or walked out after 20 minutes, I couldn't keep my eyes of the screen. I really admire Director Terrence Mallick for making such a film in the current state of cinema. 


War Horse

Now you should know that I absolutely despite animal movies so I had my reservations before seeing War Horse in the cinemas. I don't think it's deserving of the Oscar but I do applaud the way they handled the issue of a horse during war. Sure, there were some very implausible scenes worked in there (pause war to save a horse...?) but I genuinely enjoyed the film. 


The Artist

I like B&W film and I've enjoyed silent films but The Artist was something else. I really loved how it had a clear authentic quality but also a modern twist. Most are betting on The Artist for Best Picture and there's no loud objection from me.


Midnight in Paris

Classic Woody Allen: original, filled with interesting characters and a little bit odd. The thing with his movies is you either like them or not because he has such a specific view. I would really like it if Midnight in Paris won Best Picture but I don't think it'll happen.


Moneyball

I don't know if it's just me but I've been reading a little Oscar-buzz online and Moneyball seems to be the only one that doesn't have a cult following. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the great performances and the well-written script, I find the movie to be overrated. 



Hugo
Just saw it today and loved it. The Martin Scorsese stamp pretty much guaranteed it for me and he didn't disappoint in the very least. It had all the features of a children's animated picture; the playfulness, the vibrant setting, the caricature-like characters; and yet there were serious issues addressed. Asa Butterfield as Hugo Cabret had me instantly with those baby blues of his. Very nice movie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English Edification Enrichment (12)

What is the meaning and origin of the expression "once in a blue moon"? When something happens "once in a blue moon" it happens very rarely. Here are a few examples, * My brother George lives in Russia. I see him once in a blue moon. * We have visitors once in a blue moon. * How often does Tendulkar come to office? Once in a blue moon. There are several explanations as to the origin of this expression. According to scientists, whenever a volcano erupts, the sulphur and dust particles that are thrown up into the atmosphere often cause the moon to appear blue for some time. When the volcano on Krakatoa (an island between Java and Sumatra) exploded in 1883, rocks were hurled thirty miles high into the air and dust from the volcano fell nearly three thousands miles away. After this eruption the moon looked blue for several days. Luckily for us, volcanoes don't erupt every day, so a blue moon continues to be a rare phenomenon. Another explanation offered by scholar...

Growth & Development

I've noticed that the more sternly I speak to my kids — for example, after they've run into the street without looking — the more distraught they get. How can I make sure they understand the seriousness of certain situations without making them feel worse? As the saying goes, "Desperate times call for desperate measures." When your child's safety is at risk — whether he's run into the street, reached for an open flame, or gotten dangerously close to a pool — yelling, screaming, or crying out is a perfectly normal (and necessary!) response. After all, at that moment, you would do anything possible to get your child's attention and get him out of harm's way. After an episode like this, it's natural for kids to cry — and for you to want to apologize. But the truth is, your kids are likely crying in response to the fear and urgency in your voice, not because you've been "too stern." At times like these, it's OK to comfort them without...

English Edification Enrichment (17)

What is the difference between "plump" and "fat"? When an individual is plump or fat, he is overweight. The word "fat" has a negative connotation associated with it. When you say that someone is "fat", what you are implying is that he is overweight and doesn't present a pleasant sight. It is considered impolite to call someone fat to his face. The word "plump", on the other hand, is normally used to indicate approval. When you say that someone is plump, what you are implying is that the individual is overweight in a pleasant sort of way. In other words, you approve of the soft rounded body that the individual has! The individual though overweight is not unpleasant to look at. In the 60s and 70s many of our movie heroines were plump. Thanks & Regards.