Skip to main content

Helping Hands - Part :1

t was a glorious Sunday morning. The sun was shining gallantly piercing through my glass window. I wanted to continue to snuggle under the sheets but I hate to see a perfectly beautiful day go to waste.

I forced myself to wake up and gazed out the window. There was not a single cloud in the sky and the birds were chirping away, singing tunes of freedom. The morning air was crisp and fresh.

Subconsciously I began humming the tunes of "What a Wonderful Life" in my heart. My heart was brimming with joy. My mind was peaceful and contented. There was a sense of calmness and serenity flowing through my body. Deep inside, I was happy. I was blessed with a lot of good things in life.

As I turned away from the window, my eyes caught a small poster across the room, which read, "In order to help others, I must help myself first". I couldn't remember where and how I got it but the poster has always been there for as long as I could remember. I didn't take notice of it before but this time, I could feel something different.

Somehow I felt a tingling sensation down my spine. Somehow my nerves were sending signals to my brain formulating pictures and images of a documentary, which I saw a few nights ago about the lives of helpless children in Palestine living in refugee camps.

Their living conditions were not even close to what I have here. They lived in overly crowded and cramped tents with no electricity and no fresh water supply. Most of the time they just had barely enough food to eat and they just have enough clothes to cover their bodies for the day. Schools were makeshift huts and even that was considered as a luxury for many children. Entertainment was just mere words in the dictionary.

Nobody could tell when it will end. I guess, the right question to ask is, will it ever end? They surely need a helping hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English Edification Enrichment (12)

What is the meaning and origin of the expression "once in a blue moon"? When something happens "once in a blue moon" it happens very rarely. Here are a few examples, * My brother George lives in Russia. I see him once in a blue moon. * We have visitors once in a blue moon. * How often does Tendulkar come to office? Once in a blue moon. There are several explanations as to the origin of this expression. According to scientists, whenever a volcano erupts, the sulphur and dust particles that are thrown up into the atmosphere often cause the moon to appear blue for some time. When the volcano on Krakatoa (an island between Java and Sumatra) exploded in 1883, rocks were hurled thirty miles high into the air and dust from the volcano fell nearly three thousands miles away. After this eruption the moon looked blue for several days. Luckily for us, volcanoes don't erupt every day, so a blue moon continues to be a rare phenomenon. Another explanation offered by scholar...

Growth & Development

I've noticed that the more sternly I speak to my kids — for example, after they've run into the street without looking — the more distraught they get. How can I make sure they understand the seriousness of certain situations without making them feel worse? As the saying goes, "Desperate times call for desperate measures." When your child's safety is at risk — whether he's run into the street, reached for an open flame, or gotten dangerously close to a pool — yelling, screaming, or crying out is a perfectly normal (and necessary!) response. After all, at that moment, you would do anything possible to get your child's attention and get him out of harm's way. After an episode like this, it's natural for kids to cry — and for you to want to apologize. But the truth is, your kids are likely crying in response to the fear and urgency in your voice, not because you've been "too stern." At times like these, it's OK to comfort them without...

English Edification Enrichment (17)

What is the difference between "plump" and "fat"? When an individual is plump or fat, he is overweight. The word "fat" has a negative connotation associated with it. When you say that someone is "fat", what you are implying is that he is overweight and doesn't present a pleasant sight. It is considered impolite to call someone fat to his face. The word "plump", on the other hand, is normally used to indicate approval. When you say that someone is plump, what you are implying is that the individual is overweight in a pleasant sort of way. In other words, you approve of the soft rounded body that the individual has! The individual though overweight is not unpleasant to look at. In the 60s and 70s many of our movie heroines were plump. Thanks & Regards.