Skip to main content

The Stray Cat Who Was PART:1

I can still remember waking up in the middle of the night to what sounded like a terrible catfight. Perhaps it was the neighbor's cat or the stray they had been feeding. I was happy to know that my animals were safe and sound inside. I quickly forgot about it and went back to sleep.

The next morning, there he was at my door. He was obviously in pain and looking for somebody to help him. The wound looked as if something had gotten him by his neck and had a good bite. Without thinking, I took him in, called my veterinarian who kindly agreed to see us right away. I packed him and my newborn baby into the car and we were on our way.

He was a kind animal and had been around for a few months now. He was a typical "Tom", but he was friendly and gentle with people. I had come to enjoy his visits to my yard, but always finished them by making sure I washed my hands well, as he was rough around the edges and always covered in dirt.

He seemed too skinny for the big frame he had and it was apparent he did not have a permanent home. I suspected that he would be the neighbors' cat soon, as they had been leaving food out for him for sometime.

I thought that I would get this cat the medical attention he needed and that would be the end of it. After all, I already had two cats, a newborn baby and a very small house. The inn was full and I was on my way to the vet's with a wounded stray cat. I would get him fixed up and send him on his merry way. It seemed like a perfect plan and the right thing to do.

"The good news is, I can definitely fix the wound. The bad news is, we don't know what bit him and we don't know if he has been vaccinated for rabies. We either put him down or quarantine him for six months."

I heard the doctor's words, but at first they didn't register. After careful contemplation I came up with my brilliant plan. I would quarantine the cat for six months and find him a nice home after that.

"Ok", I said. "I'll take him in for six months, but I am not keeping him."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English Edification Enrichment (12)

What is the meaning and origin of the expression "once in a blue moon"? When something happens "once in a blue moon" it happens very rarely. Here are a few examples, * My brother George lives in Russia. I see him once in a blue moon. * We have visitors once in a blue moon. * How often does Tendulkar come to office? Once in a blue moon. There are several explanations as to the origin of this expression. According to scientists, whenever a volcano erupts, the sulphur and dust particles that are thrown up into the atmosphere often cause the moon to appear blue for some time. When the volcano on Krakatoa (an island between Java and Sumatra) exploded in 1883, rocks were hurled thirty miles high into the air and dust from the volcano fell nearly three thousands miles away. After this eruption the moon looked blue for several days. Luckily for us, volcanoes don't erupt every day, so a blue moon continues to be a rare phenomenon. Another explanation offered by scholar...

Growth & Development

I've noticed that the more sternly I speak to my kids — for example, after they've run into the street without looking — the more distraught they get. How can I make sure they understand the seriousness of certain situations without making them feel worse? As the saying goes, "Desperate times call for desperate measures." When your child's safety is at risk — whether he's run into the street, reached for an open flame, or gotten dangerously close to a pool — yelling, screaming, or crying out is a perfectly normal (and necessary!) response. After all, at that moment, you would do anything possible to get your child's attention and get him out of harm's way. After an episode like this, it's natural for kids to cry — and for you to want to apologize. But the truth is, your kids are likely crying in response to the fear and urgency in your voice, not because you've been "too stern." At times like these, it's OK to comfort them without...

English Edification Enrichment (17)

What is the difference between "plump" and "fat"? When an individual is plump or fat, he is overweight. The word "fat" has a negative connotation associated with it. When you say that someone is "fat", what you are implying is that he is overweight and doesn't present a pleasant sight. It is considered impolite to call someone fat to his face. The word "plump", on the other hand, is normally used to indicate approval. When you say that someone is plump, what you are implying is that the individual is overweight in a pleasant sort of way. In other words, you approve of the soft rounded body that the individual has! The individual though overweight is not unpleasant to look at. In the 60s and 70s many of our movie heroines were plump. Thanks & Regards.